Over many years of use, even with regular tuning and maintenance, dust and dirt progressively builds up within the organ impairing the smooth working of the organ’s action and impairing good pipe speech. This can cause the organ to become less reliable and lead to “off” notes and stops.
In the usual church environment, it is advisable to clean the organ every 20-25 years. In certain more polluted environments the organ may need to be cleaned more frequently.
We are happy to provide reports on the organ’s condition and advise on whether a cleaning would restore the brightness and reliability of the organ. As the organ is completely dismantled for cleaning, this provides the perfect opportunity to rectify small faults, such as collapsing pipework, or carry out a more thorough restoration.
This will give the organ a new lease of life and many more years of reliable service.
Cleanings and overhauls carried out in 2016-17 include:
- St Joseph, Bunhill Row, London
- St Teilo, Whitchurch, Cardiff
- St Mary, Blackheath, London
- Dover Parish Church (dismantling to allow access to make repairs to church wall).
- St Barnabas, Downham, London
- St Margaret, Tylers Green, Bucks.
- St Dunstan, Bellingham, London
- St Margaret Patten, London
- St Brigid, Llanishen, Cardiff